I love Toby. She’s one of my most favorite people in the world. She always has a smile on her face and a nice thing to say. She’s one of these creative types that looks for fun and interesting things. She writes two blogs: A Time of The Signs and I Wish I Were a Photographer. Both are so much fun. You should try them out.
Toby gave me a recipe for really yummy bread. I made a couple of modifications to it to make it really yummy whole wheat challah.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
Vegan Whole Wheat Challah
This is a sugar free challah recipe that everyone loves.
- water - 2 1/4 cup, warm
- yeast - 3 teaspoons
- date honey - 1/2 cup
- oil - 4 tablespoons
- salt - 2 teaspoons
- 70% whole wheat flour - 1 kilo (or 4 cups wheat and 3 cups white flour)
- sesame seeds - 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Activate yeast in honey water mixture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and kneed for 5 minutes.
- Let rise 45 minutes.
- Divide into two - one for each challah and shape. I always make 2 challahs and 2 rolls.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Let rise another 30 minutes.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
This challah comes out very dark looking not because it uses whole wheat flour, but because of the date honey. 100% whole wheat flour can be very heavy, but this challah isn’t.
Instead of using an egg wash, I use a water sugar mixture. It doesn’t come out as shiney, but it tastes really yummy. I’ve also heard of people using a soy milk mixture. You can also sprinkle with seeds. I don’t think it adds any flavor, but it looks nice.