I have the cutest grandson ever. He’s my only grandchild so I can still say that. He is the essence of kibbutz galuyot – the gathering of the Jewish nation back into Israel. His father is 1/4 Lithuania, 1/2 Polish and 1/4 Iraqi. His mother is 1/2 Yemenite, 1/4 English and 1/4 Dutch. I really love living in Israel!
I started making Kubahneh after my son met his wife. Tamar is one of the most amazing people that I know, and we are so lucky that she is part of our family. My son did good.
Kubaheh is a type of Yemenite bread that you pull apart to eat. Not only is it tasty, it’s a lot of fun to eat.
I have always loved eating Kubahneh, but it just seemed so foreign to me, I also thought that it was going to be a big deal to make, but it really isn’t. It’s true that you need a special pot to bake it in, but it is definitely worth the investment!
Most Kubahneh is made with margarine. I try to stay away from margarine. They don’t sell the healthy brands of margarine that you can find in the US, and since it’s not exactly a health food, if I can replace it with something else, I do. To make it a bit richer in flavor, I chose to use olive oil. It worked out great.
- Prep Time: 2h 00 min
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
This is one of the most fun things to eat on Shabbat morning!
- water - 1 cup, warm
- sugar - 1/3 cup
- yeast - 1 tablespoon
- salt - 1 teaspoon
- flour - 3 cups
- oil - 1/3 cup
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- Add sugar to the warm water and activate the yeast.
- When the yeast is nice and bubbly, add the flour and salt.
- Combine all the ingredients together and mix to a nice dough.
- Let sit for about an hour to allow the dough to rise.
- separate the dough into 8 equal parts and pat them down.
- Pour a bit of olive oil in each of the pieces, spread out and roll them up.
- Oil the sides of the pan and place all pieces in the bottom and cover.
- Let dough rise a second time, for another hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
On Shabbat day, I wrap it in tin foil and warm it up on the plata. It can’t be beat!