My mom’s birthday was a week ago. Instead of making a cake, I decided to go for something else this time. We’ve done the birthday cake things so many times, that I thought it was time for a change. Not too much of a change. After all, my chocoholic tendencies are genetically inclined. No matter what, I knew that we weren’t going to have anything vanilla. It just wouldn’t do.
I looked through all my vegan cookbooks, but wasn’t able to find a recipe that I could make in Israel. Practically all of them called for silken tofu. I don’t know why, but silken tofu has not come to Israel yet. If it did, I would be one of the happiest campers I know. There seem to be so many amazing dessert recipes that call for silken tofu. Until then, I’ll just need to find my own ways to do things. I’m cool with that.
This time I cheated – I happened to have a chocolate cookie pie crust that I bought in Super Deal, in Jerusalem. If I didn’t have one, I would have used chocolate tea cookies instead of the regular ones that I use in my cheese cake recipe.
- Yield: 10
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
Peanut Butter Mousse Pie
It has a lot of ingredients, but it's not difficult to make. It's very rich, so you don't have to eat a lot of it to feel the chocolate-peanut butter love.
- Chocolate Crust
- chocolate petit beurre biscuits - 1 cup, ground
- margarine - 1/4 cup, melted
- Peanut Butter Layer
- peanut butter - 1 cup
- ground petit beurre biscuits - 1/2 cup, the regular kind
- powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
- margarine - 2 tablespoons, melted
- Mouse Layer
- chocolate chips - 1 cup
- soy milk - 1/4 cup
- vegan cream cheese - 1 tub
- Rich's whip - 1 carton
- vanilla - 1 teaspoon
- pudding mix - 1/2 pack (about 1/4 cup)
- Mix together margarine and biscuits and press them into the bottom of a pie tin.
Peanut butter layer:
- Mix together ingredients and fill pie crust half way with mixture.
- If mixture is too thick, add a bit of soy milk until it can be poured into crust.
- Melt chocolate chips with soy milk.
- Place all ingredients except melted chips, into a mixer and turn on high for 2 minutes.
- Add in the melted chips and mix together for another minute.
- Place on top of chocolate mixture and refrigerate for at least an hour, so that peanut butter and mouse layers have time to set.
There are not many deserts that I find so rich that I need to stop after one slice, but this was one of them. I have a very high tolerance level for rich food. Lucky me.
I know that the ingredient list may seem very long, but even though it has a lot of stuff in it, it’s still really easy to make. I was actually surprised how fast it was to whip together. Not to say that I wouldn’t be happy to spend more time on my mom’s birthday dessert (I think that my Triple Chocolate Cake proves that I can be serious about birthdays), it’s just that there was no reason to.
Mom, I can’t thank you enough for everything that you do and all the support you give me. You are an inspiration to me. I hope that you enjoyed sharing your birthday with us. We love you and wish to spend many more happy birthdays together!
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: