This recipe is one that got me started with this whole blog in the first place. I had been experimenting with vegan baking and I made cinnamon rolls. I posted a picture on facebook and got so many comments and questions that I decided to start blogging about all the stuff I’m making. So far, it’s been a real hit. Thank you guys!
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
These are best eaten warm.
- yeast - 1 1/2 teaspoons
- water - 1/2 cup
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- flour - 3 1/4 cups
- soy milk - 1/2 cup
- vegetable shortening - 1/2 cup
- salt - 1 teaspoon
- margarine - 1/4 cup
- sugar - 1/4 cup
- cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- raisins - 1/2 cup
- powdered sugar - 1 cup
- soy milk - 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Activate yeast in warm water and sugar.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and knead into a nice dough.
- Let rise 1 hour.
- Separate dough into 2 halves. Roll each half into 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
- Brush each rectangle with melted margarine.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle on the dough.
- Sprinkle on raisins.
- Roll up dough and press closed.
- Slice each roll into 10 - 12 sections.
- Place on greased cookie sheet and let rise 1/2 hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Mix up powdered sugar and soy milk.
- Spread on warm cinnamon rolls.
One of the things that I really like about this recipe is that there are no weird ingredients. They are things that practically everyone has in the house. No one needs to make a special trip to the health food store to buy weird vegan ingredients. You can even get soy milk at any grocery store these days. As a matter of fact, I’ve made this recipe with margarine instead of shortening because that’s what I had in the house. Shortening makes them a bit lighter, but the margarine works OK too.
It’s true, at least for now, that to be vegan you need to make a lot of stuff yourself. Even people that haven’t decided to make the change in their lives to stop using animal products can still make a difference when they do their own cooking and baking to do it vegan. These types of things are baby steps that move us in the right direction to a kinder diet.
Besides – there’s nothing like homemade cooking is there? So yum!Add to Favourites