Soups are one of those great foods that fill you up, keep you warm, and are easy to make. Especially this nice thick soup. I like to make this during the week of Chol Hamoed Pesach.
Having a hand blender is crucial to my happiness on Pesach. I like to blend this soup halfway so that it’s a bit chunky. If you don’t have a hand blender, try a potato masher, or putting half of the soup in a regular food processor. Those work too, but aren’t quite as easy.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
Potato Leek Soup
Classic potato leek soup uses butter for frying the leeks. Frying the leeks in olive oil gives a lovely, rich flavor. I actually like it better.
- olive oil - 4 tablespoons
- leeks - 3 large, chopped
- potatoes - 6 large, chopped
- parve chicken soup bouillon - 3 tablespoons
- water - 10 cups
- Heat oil
- Add leeks and cook until translucent
- Add potatoes and cook for a couple of more minutes, stirring often
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil
- Lower flame and cook until potatoes are soft
- Remove from flame and process roughly with a hand blender
- Serve warm