Chanukah is almost here. The stores are full of sufganiot. One of the things that has been really important to me is that my kids don’t feel like they are missing out by doing the vegan thing. That’s what inspired these homemade sufuganiot.
These aren’t the big boys you find in the store. I made them small for three reasons. First, I wanted them to cook quickly. Small is faster. The second reason is that small means less fat. Not that sufganiot are health food, but small means less of something unhealthy. The third reason is that I don’t have a doughnut cutter. I used a glass to cut out the doughnuts. Don’t knock it, it works.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
Sufganiot (aka Jelly Doughnuts)
This is the Israeli taste of Chanuka.
- water - 1 1/4 cup
- sugar - 1/4 cup
- yeast - 1 1/2 teaspoons
- flour - 2 1/2 cups
- salt - 1 teaspoon
- baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- margarine - 3 tablespoons, melted
- oil - for frying
- powdered sugar - for dusting
- jam - for filling
- Activate yeast with warm water and sugar.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and margarine.
- Knead dough on floured surface for 5 minutes.
- Let rise 1 1/2 hours.
- Roll out dough and cut into circles.
- Let dough rise 15 minutes and heat oil.
- Deep fry, turning a couple of times, until golden brown (about a minute on each side).
- Remove with slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels.
- While warm, sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. Coat both sides.
- Inject each doughnut with jelly.
To inject the doughnuts with the Jelly, I used a syringe that I keep in my messy, everything else, kitchen drawer. It was much easier to use than poking each doughnut with the nozzle of a pastry bag, and a lot less messy.
This recipe makes about 20 sufganiot, depending on the size cup you use. Mine was about 2 inches in diameter.
I know that I said that each doughnut has few calories than their bigger brothers, but be careful. Make sure to have other people around to eat them with you because they can be addictive.
Happy Chanukah!Add to Favourites